Presidents can be demanding people, and when they call on various department heads and military chiefs for answers and options, those has better be forthcoming, and quickly.
Cabinet chief, military leaders and department heads are all aware of this, which is why they game-plan for every imaginable scenario their respective agencies are responsible for handling. Some very good ideas come from such planning, but so do some very bad ones. And some very odd ones.
Because you just never know what situations the country will face. Along these lines, before 9/11, U.S. intelligence and military planners even planned for the potential that some terrorist groups would fly commercial airliners into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and even the White House, no matter how remote the possibility. (RELATED: Worst Case Scenario: 100 Foot Tsunami Would Wipe Out Entire Cities If There Is A Catastrophic Failure Of The Oroville Dam)
So it should come as no surprise that the Department of Homeland Security would contingency plan for the possibility that a president who pledged to rid the country of criminal illegal aliens might want to utilize elements of state-controlled National Guard units to carry out his plan.
And yet, the discredited fake news media, along with hysterical Democrats in Congress, made it sound as though Trump was the second coming of Hitler or Stalin when a preliminary plan to use 100,000 Guard troops to find and help remove criminal illegal aliens was leaked to the press last week. More on that in a moment.
In fact, it would be a dereliction of duty for the Department of Homeland Security to not have an immigration enforcement plan that didn’t involve the National Guard – you know, since past presidents have recently deployed the Guard for immigration enforcement duty.
That would include the lamestream media’s beloved President Barack Obama.
As reported by McClatchy DC:
In 2010, former President Barack Obama said he would deploy 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border. They were sent to Arizona, Texas, California and New Mexico. While National Guard troops were not authorized to arrest people found to be crossing the border illegally, they helped staff observation posts, monitor surveillance footage and build fences.
In 2006, former President George W. Bush called up 6,000 National Guard troops to California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. They were commissioned to help install border barriers, provide training and assist with border surveillance.
So clearly, the National Guard (focus on the words National and Guard) clearly does have a role to play in the enforcement of immigration law. Under the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act, a Reconstruction era statute, the U.S. military is largely forbidden from performing direct law enforcement duties, but it is not prohibited from providing support to civilian law enforcement. (RELATED: President Announces “Civilian National Security Force” – But Wait, That Was OBAMA, Not Trump)
That said, if the president were to federalize National Guard troops for the sole purpose of assisting federal authorities with locating, detaining and removing criminal illegal aliens from the country, he has the authority to do so – and the Guard would have the mandate to follow the commander-in-chief’s order, just like the regular military when both were mobilized to serve in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
About the leak: The White House was never actively considering using 100,000 Guard troops to ‘round up’ all illegal aliens, as it was reported by The Associated Press. More fake news, in other words.
“That is 100 percent not true. It is false. It is irresponsible to be saying this. There is no effort at all to round up, to utilize the National Guard to round up illegal immigrants,” White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters after the AP story broke on Friday.
“I don’t know what could potentially be out there, but I know that there is no effort to do what is potentially suggested,” he added. “It is not a White House document.”
DHS officials subsequently told reporters that the document was very preliminary and was “never seriously considered by the Department,” said a tweet from Cox Media producer Dorey Scheimer.